Cross-posted from UN Women
This brief sourcebook is a collection of cutting-edge resources intended to raise awareness, provoke policy, support training, advocacy and share lessons learned on implementation of the women, peace and security (WPS) agenda, including the UN Security Council resolution 1325 and other women and peace and security resolutions (1820, 1888, 1889 and 1960).
This collection is expected to strengthen the knowledge base on women and peace and security-related issues and to provide practitioners, advocates and policy makers with practical guidance.
The Overview provides a detailed summary of issues, lessons learned, good practices and continuing efforts to implement the WPS agenda. It also provides a set of analytical and practical guidance on five major thematic and operational elements of the WPS agenda, namely:
- frameworks for implementing the women and peace and security resolutions;
- women’s engagement in conflict resolution;
- gender-responsive conflict prevention and protection;
- women’s participation in peacebuilding and recovery; and
- gender and transitional justice.
For each of the areas highlighted, the subject matter is introduced with one or more analytical papers that offer the reader the opportunity to understand concepts, issues and the latest thinking on the subject. Guidance documents highlight practical examples, lessons learned and good practices, as well as recent statistics, where available.
The Sourcebook also includes the frameworks on WPS: UN Security Council resolutions 1325, 1820, 1888, 1889, and 1960.
This collection is expected to strengthen capacities at the country level and within the UN system to address issues and challenges relating to women and peace and security.
2. Frameworks for Implementing the Women and Peace and Security Resolutions
- Tracking Implementation of Security Council Resolution 1325 (2000)
- GUIDANCE: Women and Peace and Security: Guidelines for National Implementation
3. Women’s Engagement in Conflict Resolution
- Women’s Participation in Peace Negotiations: Connections between Presence and Influence
- GUIDANCE: Identifying Women’s Peace and Security Priorities
4. Gender-Responsive Conflict Prevention and Protection
- Gender and Conflict Analysis
- Gender-Sensitive Police Reform in Post-Conflict Societies
- VIDEO: When Peace Comes: A Gender Perspective on Disarmament, Demobilization and Reintegration, and Post-Conflict Recovery
- GUIDANCE: Addressing Conflict-Related Sexual Violence: An Analytical Inventory of Peacekeeping Practice
- GUIDANCE: Gender-Responsive Early Warning: Overview and How-to Guide
5. Women’s Participation in Peacebuilding and Recovery
- What Women Want: Planning and Financing for Gender-Responsive Peacebuilding
- Women working for recovery: The impact of Female Employment on Family and Community Welfare after Conflict
- Gender and Post-Conflict Governance: Understanding the Challenges
- GUIDANCE: Increasing Women’s Participation and Engagement in Planning for Peace: The 2011 Gender Symposium and International Engagement Conference (IEC) for South Sudan
6. Gender and Transitional Justice
- Reparations, Development and Gender
- GUIDANCE: A Window of Opportunity? Making Transitional Justice Work for Women